Assesses and evaluates the health status of resident / patient and provides care and treatment in accordance with physician orders and standards of practice.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
(Other duties may be assigned.
- Assesses patients by physical examination including pertinent diagnostic testing to determine health status.
- Administers medications and treatments.
- Participates in the care planning process and oversees implementation of the plan.
- Supervises LPNs and nursing assistants.
- Communicates with physicians regarding changes in conditions, diagnostic test results, etc.
- Documents assessments and care in compliance with standards of care and company policy.
- Educates patients and their families on health-related issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Supervises nursing care provided by nursing assistants, licensed vocational/practical nurses and others for whom they are administratively or professionally responsible.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organizational policies and applicable laws.
- Supervisory responsibilities include:
- Interviews, recommends hires and trains employees.
Plans, assigns and directs work.
- Prepares work assignment sheets, taking into consideration Resident safety, the educational preparation, experience, knowledge and ability of the persons to whom the assignments are made.
- Receives calls and finds replacements for absent staff.
- Transfers employees among units as needed.
- Prepares performance evaluations with the understanding such evaluations impact tenure of probationary employees and wage increases of non-probationary employees.
- Meaningfully rewards and disciplines employees with the understanding such discipline results in termination of employment through progressive steps.
- Schedules and adjusts lunch and rest breaks.
- Approves errors in time cares or other timekeeping records.
- Authorizes overtime as necessary.
- Receives and resolves employee complaints.
- Determines rotation of employees within unit.
- Monitors and corrects job performance of employees.
- Is in charge of facility in absence of higher-ranking management officials.
- Uses independent judgment and discretion on behalf of the organization in the performance of these duties.
Supervises LPNs, LVNs, graduate nurses, certified nursing assistants
Physical Demands and Environment:
Shift work may be required. Employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands or fingers, reach with hands and arms, feel, talk and hear. Employee will occasionally assist to lift and / or transfer patients weighing between 100 to 250 pounds. Employee is occasionally exposed to blood or other body fluids, fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.