1800 Irving Place
Shreveport, LA 71101
Healthcare - Health Services
2 Year Degree
THIS IS A PER DIEM (AS NEEDED) POSITION
The Registered Nurse (RN) performs those activities for which the RN has been prepared through education and training. The RN provides nursing supervision in the planning for and provision of nursing care to patients, and directs and evaluates care given by other licensed nurses and personnel. The RN provides education, assesses needs, plans for, implements, evaluates and documents care being provided by nursing staff to each patient. The RN is responsible both for nursing care directly provided by that nurse and the care provided by others under her/his supervision.
1. Assesses and evaluates patient and family needs in order to provide quality care to assigned patients.
- Coordinates/completes nursing admission assessment within 4 hours of admission
- Utilizes knowledge of the developmental needs specific to the age of the patient (adult, geriatric) to develop the patient plan of care
- Identifies and documents patient and family teaching needs upon admission
- Performs nursing procedures and treatments from physicians orders accurately and safely
- Initiates a minimum of two patient plans of care during the admission assessment process.
- Continues to identify patient problems and initiates plans of care as patient condition dictates
- Reassess the Patient Plan of Care at a minimum weekly and as needed and modify as patient condition warrants
- Assess patient/family/significant other’s response to teaching plan in order to evaluate plan effectiveness
2.Develops, discusses and communicates a plan of care for each patient, in collaboration with each patient/family/significant other in order to address all identified needs
- Plan of care will include interventions with weekly outcomes and discharge outcomes (short term and long term outcomes)
- Develops patient/family/ significant other teaching and discharge plan as per unit standard
3. Demonstrates the skills and judgment necessary to ensure accurate medication administration
- Demonstrates knowledge of hospital policies and procedures and nursing practice act for safely administering, transcribing and recording medications
- Demonstrates knowledge of commonly used meds: action, dose and side effects
- Researches drugs that nurse is unfamiliar with prior to administration
4. Demonstrates competence in performance of procedures and utilization of equipment for medical management according to hospital policy and procedures (i.e. blood administration, IV care management, use of glucometer, feeding pumps, PCA etc)
5. Demonstrates competence in performance of transitional restoration techniques for patient care management (i.e. Hygiene, Range of Motion, Transfers, Bowel and Bladder, Skin Care Management, Cognitive Retraining, and Social Re-orientation)
6. Maintains up-to- date and accurate documentation of nursing care provided to ensure the integration of information for use by the healthcare team, to ensure quality care.
- Each identified problem must be addressed a minimum of every 24 hours
- Nursing documentation is reflected in the Interdisciplinary Progress Notes with an entry made at least every shift and when reassessment of the patient requires
- Properly enters patient orders via Meditech order entry module and any applicable systems required
- Shift reports reflect current plan for the patient with current shift updates
- Flow sheets must be accurate, complete and signed according to hospital policy and procedure.
- Utilizes appropriate abbreviations and symbols according to hospital policy and procedure.
7. Promotes infection control principles as identified in Hospital policy and procedure
- Acts as a role model in all setting using standard precautions
- Monitors all disciplines for compliance with infection control procedures
- Provides education regarding infection control aspects to patient, family and staff
- Utilizes and provides personal protective equipment supplies to promote compliance
8. Promotes environmental and patient safety.
- Makes provision for a clean, organized environment
- Constantly observes for unsafe conditions
- Reports safety issues in a timely manner
- Promotes completion of safety reviews
- Provides safety education to patients and support persons
- Has knowledge of general safety, department and service safety, and specific job hazards
- Demonstrates proper body mechanics in all functions
9. Works intra and inter- departmentally to ensure cost effective utilization
- Participates in performance improvement process related to all activities such as maintaining quality logs etc.
- Reviews physician orders and works with case management and coding to ensure accurate capture of charges
- Works with pharmacy and physicians regarding cost efficient use of medication
- Ensure that all ordered treatments and tests are performed as ordered
10. Promotes efficient use of departmental supplies and equipment via:
- Ensures equipment is in good working order
- Reports equipment problems to appropriate personnel promptly
- Ensures return of rental equipment when no longer in use
- Demonstrates ability to be cost effective when recommending equipment acquisitions/modifications and patient care products
- Assures, in conjunction with Charge Nurse, that emergency equipment, i.e. crash cart, oxygen resuscitation, suction equipment are in working order
11. Participates as a member of the team:
- Collaborates with other disciplines in regards to patient outcomes and interventions as necessary
- Coordinates and/or attends interdisciplinary team conferences
- Prepares team conference report
- Provides nursing input into the development of the interdisciplinary patient treatment plan
- Assures treatment plans are based on standards of practice established by the A.N.A.