EHN-Eastern Area Address :
350 Manor AVE 3rd Floor Company Location :
Langhorne, PA 19047 Date Posted :
SUMMARY OF POSITION: Performs resident/patient care activities and related services necessary in caring for the personal needs, safety, and comfort of residents/patients as assigned. Assists in providing a positive physical, social and psychological environment. Follows all Extendicare policies and procedures.
The responsibilities of this position involve significant physical activities including standing, lifting (up to 60 pounds unassisted), bending, stooping, pushing, pulling and twisting. All employees of nursing homes may be required to provide lifting and transfer assistance to residents. Lifting and/or transferring some residents will require use of a lifting device and /or assistance of other staff.
Assists with resident/patient care needs and comforts including but not limited to:
- Assists or gives oral hygiene and mouth care.
- Assists with bathing functions and dressing/undressing as necessary.
- Assists with nail care, shaving, and hair care.
- Assists with lifting, turning, positioning and transporting residents.
- Makes both occupied and unoccupied beds (as assigned).
- Keeps residents/patients dry (i.e. change gown, clothing, linen, etc.)
- Assists resident/patient with bowel or bladder functions.
- Checks residents/patients frequently to assure that their personal care needs are being met.
- Answers call lights promptly.
- Measures and records vital signs.
- Weighs and measures residents/patients.
- Collects specimens (i.e., urine, stool, sputum).
- Prepares and gives enemas.
- Provides daily indwelling catheter care.
- Performs diabetic urine testing.
- Turns bedfast residents/patients at least every two hours.
- Provides daily range of motion exercises.
- Assists with care of the dying resident.
- Maintains accurate intake and output records.
- Performs food service functions including:
- Prepares residents/patients for meals (i.e., take to bathroom, wash hands, oral care, take to, from dining room, etc.)
- Serves food trays. Assists with feeding as indicated.
- Records the residents/patients food fluid intake.
- Serves between meal and bedtime snacks.
- Keeps resident’s/patient’s water pitchers clean and filled with fresh water on each shift.
- Performs after meal care (i.e., clean residents/patients hands, face, clothing, brush teeth, take to bathroom, etc.).
- Notes and reports changes in resident/patient eating habits especially those on diabetic diet.
- Assists with keeping nursing and resident/patient care area neat, sanitary and orderly.
- Appropriately records charges for supplies.
- Participates in the Interdisciplinary Plan of Care ('IPOC') process as assigned.
- Follows work assignments and schedules.
- Complies with laws and regulations applicable to position and acts in accordance with Extendicare’s Corporate Compliance Program.
- Attends and participates in inservice training, performance improvement ('PI') committees and other meetings as scheduled and directed.
- Treats all residents, visitors, and staff with courtesy.
- Works overtime, holiday and weekend hours as scheduled.
- Assists in orientation and training of employees as assigned.
- Performs physical activities including standing, lifting (up to 60 pounds unassisted), bending, stooping, pushing, pulling and twisting.
Performs other duties as assigned and consistent with the level of preparation and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Job Category :
- Has education or experience sufficient to meet position requirements.
- Possesses current certification as a STATE TESTED NURSING ASSISTANT.
- Able to relate positively, effectively, and appropriately with residents/patients, families, community members, volunteers and other facility staff.
- Possess special interest in, and a positive attitude about,working with long-term care residents/patients and the elderly.
- Able to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Meets all health requirements, as required by law.